I love books and I am fervently opposed to seeing a movie before reading the book. When I ask people if they have read a given book an they say they’ve seen the movie, I want to throw a book at their heads for their pig-headedness. Rule #1 – the book is always better than the movie. Always.
I am obsessed with correct grammar / spelling / use of the English language. Want to really turn me off or set me to boil? Use their, there, and they’re wrong. Spelling is not an option. It is a requirement. As is thinking. Don’t accept insufficient knowledge. Improve.
Thanks to my dad and his early book-reading, I love all things science fiction and fantasy, specifically Star Wars, Ender’s Game, Lord of the Rings, and now Harry Potter. Give me a dragon, and I am happy. These tails have sprawled into the worlds of The Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire, but the originals still hold a truer place in my nerdy heart.
I love penguins. Well really, people love that I love penguins. Mention it once and suddenly… PENGUIN EXPLOSION. Having a birthday and Christmas in the winter months and liking penguins means that people have 2 winter occasions to purchase moving, singing, walking, glowing penguins, for the tree, for my keychain, for my wardrobe, feet, hair, etc…. they’re cute and fuzzy. And infesting my life. It’s a love / hate relationship at this point. But one I am comfortable with having forever.
Wow. This is a loaded topic. I have many obsessions ( I like to refer to them as “interests.”)
There is a list. Yes, you read that correctly. A list. Here are a few:
– Amish people. This interested was ignited years ago after seeing a documentary called “Rumspringa.” It is about the year the Amish take off to live the “English” way before decided to fully commit to the Amish way of live. I highly recommend it. This coincides with the few years where I was really interested in how people overcome obstacles in their lives. I read about 50 books about Amish folks that had been shunned from their communities.
– Mormonism. This interest is like an onion (it has many layers). First of all, I have family on both sides that have converted to Mormonism. I also really appreciate many of the core values: Family, Christianity, Education. While there are aspects I do not agree with, if I was going to convert, I would either be Jewish or Mormon. Luckily, I have many friends who are Mormon and will let me read their LDS literature, etc. (Shout out to you, Smurr) and talk about it with them on a regular basis. One of my favorite blogs is written by a Mormon attorney living in Utah. Incidentally, I have also read many books about ex-Mormons and lives after they have left the church.
– Midgets. God is pretty spectacular. I love how LPs overcome both every day and physical obstacles. Seems to be an ongoing trend.
Something that scares you.
Spiders, people paying attention to me, suffocating, mushy foods, water snakes
The ocean. Good Lord that thing is huge. (That’s what she said) I’m convinced there are dinosaurs still living it in. *Don’t judge me. You don’t know.* I love swimming, snorkeling and the beach but am scared shitless about what lurks in the depths.
If you were a kind of food, and not pizza, what would you be and why?
I would be a spread of dips and apps, smoked salmon and capers, gourmet cheese, guacamole. Always exciting and different, small, yet satisfying. Nom nom.
Bagel. I would be a bagel. There is really no other perfect food. They are so good. So many flavors and options. And maybe also brie. Because brie.
If you could be an animal, what kind and why?
I mean, this is hard, I would want to be able to fly, and swim, and also be fast, and smart. Thinking a dragon is always a good option. A tropical, amphibious dragon. Who eats fruit and meat and breathes fire.
Oh, a real animal. A chimp? They seem to have fun. And throwing poo is funny. A puppy? Cute and friendly and sleeps all day. (Katie here…Lauren. Is throwing poop funny?! I have many questions about this.)
I’m sticking with dragon.
I would be a bird! I would like to fly. Not fly in a plane but really fly. So free. If the question was if you were a superhero what would your power be, flying would also apply to that question as well.
One thing about yourself you wish you could change?
Asthma/Sinus issues. I wish I could breathe like a normal person, be able to go to sleep without doing a sinus rinse and wearing a breathe rite nasal strip. Not snore and irritate all roomates, boyfriends, and vacationing friends/siblings. It is not my fault, guys. I am gross, I wake up gasping for air, I am tired all he time from the REM disruption. It is less than ideal.
Why am I tired all the time? Cuz I wake up all night. And I am not allowed to have caffeine.
I (mostly) like who I am so I am going to alter this question a little. If there was something that I wish I could be or do, I would be an artist. Like Bansky. If you don’t know who that is, look him up. He is amazing. I see it in my head but have never been able to recreate it in real life.
What era do you think you should live in, and where?
I am torn between a few.
- Renaissance Nobility, England. Jousting, balls, mead, jesters? Shakespeare. Yes.
- Jane Austen’s 18th century England/Scotland. Books. Lawn picnics. Riding through the glen. Moo moo dresses that hide everything, poetry, dances… sigh …
- 1960s in America. Bring on the music fever. I would have been such a good groupie.
This one is a loaded question! I already lived in the decade that I wish I was in now! Obvi I was a little young then, but still. I should have been in my 20’s in the 1980’s in New York City. So amazing. I probably would not have made it out of my 20’s but I would have gone out with a bang! The music, Ronald Reagan (!), the clubs, the art. THE FASHION. I would wear leg warmers and neon everywhere if people didn’t think it would be weird.
And now time for some LOLz:
- Why America is obese: Try not to have a heart attack while reading: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone/17-scrumptious-ways-to-eat-a-creme-egg
- The diabetes rap… nuf said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdF54FZu17I
- Swedish marines, greased lightening: http://mashable.com/2014/01/29/swedish-marines-greased-lightning/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link
- Star Wars in Shakespeare-speak: http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/someone-re-wrote-the-first-three-star-wars-films-in-shakespe